Certificate in Welding & Fabrication - Level 3
This 20 Week* course is aimed at individuals who are interested in a career in welding and wish to enter the industry as professional welders. The Level 3 course offers entry level learners the opportunity to learn all the various aspects and applications
of welding theory and practice as well as health and safety.
- Certificate in Welding & Fabrication - Level 3, which is an NZQA approved qualification.
What the programme will cover
- Health and Safety, Safe use of tools and Equipment
- Standard workshop practices, processes and terminology.
- Welding skills including GMAW (Mig) GTAW (Tig) MMAW (Arc) FCAW (Flux cored).
- Thermal cutting including Oxy-Fuel and Plasma.
- Welding Carbon Steel, Aluminium and Stainless Steel
- Use and understand WPS / PQR
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- You will also complete 3 fabrication projects.
- Life skills including communication skills, teamwork, Career planning and time management.
- With further Work Experience and/or qualifications:
- Workshop Supervisor.
- Welding Inspector.
- Welding Supervisor.
- Welding engineer.
- Manufacturing engineer.
- Mechanical Engineer.
- Engineering Contractor.
- Welding is used in:
- Automotive ie Towbars (Mig, Arc and Tig).
- Agricultural equipment ie Dairy – Silos, irrigation systems, installation. (Mig, Tig and Arc).
- Construction ie earthquake strengthening and construction of modern high rise building (Mig and Arc).
- Oil and Gas Industry – ie pipes or working in refineries (Mig, Arc and Tig).
- Kitchen manufacturing Industry ie manufacturing stainless steel kitchenware (Tig).
- Aviation Industry ie Tig welding (Tig).
- Marine ie underwater welding and boat building and repairs (Mig, Arc and Tig).
- Gas Cutting ie metal recycling.
- Manufacturing in general.
- Application Criteria
- All Students
- Domestic students must have NCEA Level 1
- No previous welding experience needed - we teach you everthing you need to know.
- Applicants should have sufficient physical stamina to be able to weld for several hours per day.
- Applicants must be able to perform the mechanical tasks required to complete the course unit standards.
- International Students
- Applicants must be 18 years or over.
- Must have an overall IELTS English test score of 5.5 band with no individual score lower than 5.0.
- Correct visa to study in New Zealand.
- Proven competency in maths.
- All Students
- Domestic Students
- Fees Free available for this course
- StudyLink Funding avaoilable
- Self funding
- Level 3 - $4334.64
- Level 4 - $4892.98
- International Students
- NZ$12,500 for all International Students
- * Course is 26 weeks duration for international students
- Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Identify and apply knowledge obtained from a variety of specialised sources relevant to their chosen field.
- Manage own learning and work effectively as an individual and as a team-member to achieve relevant goals.
- Solve problems and communicate clearly using a range of appropriate media.
- Evaluate opportunities and develop plans for study and career pathways relevant to their chosen field.
- What you will Learn
- We will provide training leading to qualifications in each of the main processes of welding: Mig, Arc, Tig, Aluminium and Gas Cutting in mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium.
- Safe use of engineering machinery and tools.
- Workshop Health and Safety Procedures.
- Gain a well balanced theoretical knowledge of welding, including creating and interpreting drawings and plans.
- We will work with students through the interview process, writing C.V.s and portfolios giving you the confidence required to gain employment in the engineering industry.
About The Welding Academy
The Welding Academy has been providing dedicated Welding training to the welding and wider engineering industry for more than 20 years.
Our mission at the Welding Academy is to ensure quality education and training in a caring and safe environment to prepare students for employment in a variety of occupations within the welding and engineering industries.
The Welding Academy is committed to graduating socially and ethically responsible students that are capable of pursuing industrial careers as well as further academic studies.
98% of our graduates find work in the welding industry, you will find our students throughout New Zealand and the rest of the world. We have close links with the industry who often require new welders.
With further Work Experience and/or qualifications:
- Workshop Supervisor
- Welding Inspector
- Welding Supervisor
- Welding engineer
- Manufacturing engineer