The 1 Year Diploma in Tourism and Travel Level 5 provides graduates with the skills and knowledge to prepare them for a general management career, majoring in Aviation, Travel and Tourism.
The course focuses on skills in human resource management, marketing, strategic planning, research, finance, legislation and information technology, all of which are essential in these global industries and also transferable to any field.
Studying at Level 5 is fast-paced and challenging. The aim of this qualification is to provide you with as much industry knowledge as we possibly can within 1 year. A similar qualification could take years at university! Therefore this Diploma is perfect for people who want to become highly qualified in a short space of time.
ITC has been offering this Diploma for over 15 years on-campus and we are very excited to be able to offer this online version to you! Full of blended learning, video teaching sessions (with the option to join some live lectures) and a fabulous online platform – Moodle, you will have access to lots of course material and tutor support.
Even though you’ll be studying at home, this course includes a high level of practical activities, online communication, resources to fit different learning preferences and a high level of interaction with the Study from Home tutorial team – you’ll never feel isolated.
- Have achieved NCEA level 4 and/or
- Relevant work experience and demonstrate suitable literacy and numeracy skills
ITC Study From Home courses are specifically designed to appeal to the learning styles of all learners by using a wide variety of resources and activities.
This course includes resources and activities such as:
- Interactive video lessons
- Downloadable subject workbooks
- Problem-solving activities
- Creative thinking activities
- Online forum discussions
- Research activities
- Real world travel & tourism case study analysis
- Written tutor feedback on activities and assessments
- Verbal or video feedback on activities or assessments
- All students are enrolled in our online Careers module which covers:
- How to put together a professional CV
- How to write an outstanding cover letter
- Skills for interviews
- The Study From Home team is available to support students in all of these areas and act as a referee if required
- ITC has two employment consultants working to make students aware of all of the latest employment opportunities in the Travel & Tourism industries. Then to assist them through the recruitment process.
Note also that ITC graduates are offered LIFETIME assistance from our employment consultants and students are always welcome to ask for assistance even years later! Screen reader support enabled.Assessment
Learners are assessed in a range of methods including:
- Case Study analysis
- A computer (desktop or laptop) or tablet with a keyboard
- Notebook/paper and pens
The following textbooks (new or 2nd hand):
- Writing guidelines for Business Students (5th Ed) – Emerson; Cengage Learning
- The Principles of Tourism (8th Ed) – Collier
- Tourism A Modern Synthesis (4th Ed) – Page & Connell
- Distance learning through our online learning platform, ITC online Tutor and student interaction is part of the course via phone, live video classrooms and email
- ITC offers a free 7 day trial of their online learning platform (ITC online) so that students can get a feel for what its like studying online and sample a few of the different types of resources and activities that they offer
- The Travel and Tourism Sector
- Communication Skills
- Workplace Management and Human Resources
- Travel and Tourism Management & Strategic Planning
- Travel and Tourism Marketing
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Tourism Development
- Tourism & Hospitality Research & Analysis
Students who complete 100% of their Level 5 ITC Diploma can pathway to a Level 6 Diploma or a Bachelor Degree program in the travel & tourism field with another education provider.
ITC has written agreements with providers who recognise and cross-credit ITC papers, such as:
- Auckland Institute of Studies (AIS)
- Southern Institute of Technology (SIT)
- Both AIS & SIT allow ITC graduates to enter directly on to their Level 6 Diploma programs or the second year of their 3 year Bachelor Degree programs
- ITC graduates can also gain credits towards the Bachelor of International Tourism Management program at AUT
The ITC tutorial team are hand-picked for their extensive travel industry experience within New Zealand and overseas. They bring a real depth of skill and expertise and their strong industry knowledge makes them a valuable resource for students.
The dedicated Study From Home tutors who are available by phone, email and face-to-face appointment. Our very own portal has the function to have virtual meetings too if face-face in not achievable.
For those who are considering enrolling this year, you can now see what Study From Home is all about by doing a quick trial run, completely FREE!This will allow you to try Study From Home to see if the learning style will suit your needs, and to show you how you can gain your qualifications through distance learning.
All we need is your email address and full name. We will send you a log in access within 24 hours and you can experience our online portal for 7 days absolutley FREE!
Study From Home is the distance learning arm of the International Travel College of New Zealand (ITC). Established in 1996, ITC is an award-winning college that provides qualifications for the airline, aviation, travel and tourism industries. ITC is registered and accredited with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA), the International Air Transport Association (IATA/UFTAA), CODECO and Ready To Check In.
Study From Home courses are perfect for people who want to gain an airline, travel or tourism qualification but are unable attend one of ITC’s Auckland campuses. All students need is access to a computer and a reliable internet connection. ITC has developed excellent online learning systems, including a community forum where students can interact, to ensure people feel supported. There is also a team of dedicated Study From Home tutors who are available by phone, email and face-to-face appointment.
As a leader in airline, tourism and travel training, ITC is pleased to be able to offer its award-winning qualifications to students wishing to study from their own homes, wherever they are based in New Zealand.